WSACES emphasizes the need for quality education and supervision of counselors in all work settings.
PURPOSE OF WSACES
The purpose of the Washington State Counseling Educators and Supervisors division is:
- To advance counselor education and counselor supervision in Washington State through collaboration and professional development.
- To provide a communication vehicle for members
- To advance knowledge and skills in fields related to all levels of counselor education and counselor supervision
- To contribute to the improvement of training and supervision for those engaged in counseling and student development
- To improve competency of members, their students, and supervisees including meeting the needs of a culturally diverse society
- To provide support and encouragement for programs in maintaining the standards of the American Counseling Association.
Regular Membership: Are members of WCA and meet at least one of the following:
- Are on the faculty of or affiliated with a college or university and are regularly engaged in the professional preparation of professional counselors or college student development professionals;
- Are regularly engaged in performing the duties of a local, state or national supervisor of counselors, college student development professionals or counselors in training; or
- Are otherwise regularly engaged in professional leadership, consultation, and coordination of state qualified counselors or other student development professionals. The term "regularly engaged" shall mean that the specified professional activity constitutes a significant and continuing aspect of the individual's professional work.
- And are a recipient of a graduate degree conferred by an accredited graduate school based in part upon coursework providing preparation for performing the duties in sub-section (a) of this section.
Student Membership: Are actively enrolled in a graduate program leading to a graduate degree as described above and have an interest in counselor education and supervision.
Retired Membership: Have met the requirements for regular membership but are now retired.